Opinions expressed by content contributors do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Libertarian Party of Delaware.
Official LPD releases will be denoted as such.
Welcome to the Libertarian Party of Delaware home page, representing the Libertarian Party in Delaware.
Please follow the links to the right for additional information or scroll down for news and updates. If you want to get more involved, in particular please check out our onboarding page.
We are very active on social media. Please make sure you're following our Twitter and Facebook feeds for announcements, info, and content to share with your network. Also please join our Discord Server to begin connecting immediately with other local Libertarians. You can also find contact information for your local county affiliate officers and representatives on our Staff and Meetings page or get more information about your county affiliate on their respective web pages:
News & Updates
Saturday, December 4, 2021
Sunday, November 21, 2021
Saturday, November 6, 2021
The Sussex County Libertarian Party of Delaware will be holding its final Adopt a Highway cleanup for the year on November 13th, beginning at 8.30a meeting in the parking lot outside Weis Markets in Millsboro. Equipment and safety gear will be available, please dress warmly.
Wednesday, November 3, 2021
Thursday, October 14, 2021
Following a motion of the LPD State Board, the 2022 Convention has been scheduled for March 12th, 2022 at the Kent County Theater Guild. We have historically started our Conventions at noon, but that time is subject to change as planning proceeds. More details will follow. The Facebook event can be found here.
Tuesday, October 5, 2021
Friday, October 1, 2021
Sunday, September 12, 2021
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
Dear Fellow Delaware Libertarians,
Greetings! The NCCLP will be having it's 2nd Thursday Social tomorrow night, Sept. 9th at Stanley's Tavern (2038 Foulk Rd., Wilmington, DE 19810, https://stanleys-tavern.com/) from 7pm to 9pm.
Just west of us, The Libertarian Party of Maryland is having its third annual Crab & Chicken Fest in Easton, MD this Saturday, Sept. 11th. You can find more information here: https://lpmaryland.org/events/2021-crabs-chicken-feast-fundraiser/
If you are able, come out and join us at these events. They're great for meeting fellow libertarians, learning more about the LP if you have questions, and for just getting involved. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact LPD Secretary Dayl Thomas at dayl DOT thomas AT lpdelaware DOT com.
Tuesday, September 7, 2021
Saturday, August 28, 2021
Dear Fellow LPD Members and Friends,
Greetings! Due to the weather, the following two events for today have been rescheduled or changed:
1. Grass Cutting at the Sunday Breakfast Mission: This is been rescheduled for next Saturday, Sept. 4th, at 9am. If you would like to help out, please contact LPD Secretary Dayl Thomas at dayl DOT thomas AT lpdelaware DOT org or NCCLP Rep. to the State Board Dylan Griffith on our Discord page.
2. The NCCLP End of the Summer BBQ: This event has been canceled. Instead, we will be meeting tonight, from 5pm to 9pm at Grain H2O (3006 Summit Harbour Pl, Bear, DE 19701). Hope to see you there!
As always, thank you so much for everything that you do for the LPD, our three county affiliates, and most of all, liberty and freedom in the Delaware!
Monday, August 23, 2021
Dear Fellow LPD Members and Friends,
Greetings! We have some exciting events coming up that you won't want to miss to help spread the message of liberty, help others, and have some fun along the way!
- The Kent County Libertarian Party (KCLP) Social (Friday, August 27th, 19:00-22:00): The KCLP will be meeting at Fraizer's (9 E Loockerman St, Dover, DE 19901) for a social. For more information, please contact KCLP Chair Will McVay at will DOT mcvay AT lpdelaware DOT org.
- Sunday Breakfast Mission Grass Cutting (Saturday, August 28th, 09:00-12:00): We'll be meeting at the Sunday Breakfast Mission (SBM) at 9am to help them take care of their lawn. The SBM is one of the few local charities that do not take any government handouts, so helping them really shows others that completely voluntary organizations can do amazing things! In fact, I ran into Alex Close, SBM Director of Projects and Development and he told me just how helpful the LPD and NCCLP members are in meeting their goals. Thank you folks! Let's keep up the good work of voluntary association and helping those in need! If you would like to sign up, contact LPD Secretary at dayl DOT thomas AT lpdelaware DOT org.
- NCCLP End of the Summer BBQ (Saturday, August 28th, 17:00-21:00): The NCCLP is having a big end of the summer bar-b-que at Wheelys in New Castle (791 Frenchtown Rd E., New Castle, DE 19720) and we want you there! We have secured a beer and wine license for the event (one day we'll get rid of these, but for the time being...), so come out to enjoy great drinks, great, food, lots of fellowship with fellow liberty-lovers, and lots of other great things! You can find out more information here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/851273972254507039/874440341045006376/image0.png
- Weedstock (Friday, Sept. 17th to Saturday, Sept. 18th): The NCCLP will have a table at this event at Firebase Lloyd (474 Flemings Landing Rd., Townsend, DE 19734)! Come out and help support ending the drug war. More information can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/weedstockde/photos/a.282738055537591/1194070237737697
- LP Region 8 Affiliate and Campaign Training (Saturday, October 9th 09:00 to October 10th 15:00): The National LP is holding training for affiliate parties and their members. It's in nearby Atlantic City, NJ. Find out more information and register here: https://my.lp.org/event/region-8-affiliate-and-campaign-training-2021-10-09/
- Apple Scrapple (Saturday, October 9th, 09:00-21:00): The Sussex County Libertarian Party (SCLP) will be holding a booth at the annual Apple Scrapple event in Bridgeville, DE (https://www.applescrapple.com/). Please come out to support the SCLP spreading the word of liberty and the LP! If interested in helping out, please contact SCLP Chair Jimmy Brittingham at jimmyjambrittingham AT gmail DOT com.
Check out our other county sites (https://www.lpdelaware.org/p/contact-us.html) and back here for more events and information. We look forward to having you join us!
LPD Monthly Meeting – July 2021 - Minutes
1) Motion to meet
a) Amy 1st, Dayl 2nd to get started.
2) Roll call to determine quorum
a) Bill - Present
b) Amy - Present
c) Dayl - Present
d) Mary Pat - Present
e) Dave - Present
f) Dylan - Present
g) Will - Present
h) Brandi - Present
i) Joe - Present
j) Jimmy – Absent
i) Joe sent him a text.
k) Nine LPD members out of ten accounted for. We have quorum.
3) Call to order
a) Bill called the meeting to order at 19:03 EDT.
4) Approval of the agenda
a) Will brought up the agenda for all to view on Discord. It took some time. People had trouble viewing it. Dayl and Bill tried to share their screens, but people still couldn’t see it. We skipped trying to share it and Dayl read them at Bill’s asking. Dayl 1st, Amy 2nd to approve the agenda.
i) Bill -aye
ii) Amy – aye
iii) Dayl – aye
iv) Mary Pat – aye
v) Dave – aye
vi) Dylan – aye
vii) Will – aye
viii) Brandi -aye
ix) Joe – aye
x) Jimmy – absent (still working, will not be able to join us).
xi) Passed 9-0-0-1
5) Reading and approval of minutes
a) Mary Pat asked Dayl to update item 15.c. from “$827.94 in profits from the 2021 convention” to “$827.94 in the convention fund after paying off the 2021 convention”.
b) Joe 1st, Amy 2nd to approve the minutes
i) Bill – aye
ii) Amy – aye
iii) Dayl – aye
iv) Mary Pat – aye
v) Dave – aye
vi) Dylan – aye
vii) Will – aye
viii) Brandi – aye
ix) Joe – aye
x) Jimmy – absent.
xi) Passed 9-0-0-1
6) LPD Board Status
a) Statewide membership status
i) Discussion had
ii) LPD has 2162 registered voters as of Thursday, July 1st, 2021.
b) Statewide fundraising
i) We have about $100 in monthly income.
(1) A donor had stopped their monthly donation, as it was up to about $150 a month previously
ii) Bill 1st to have a meeting with the LPD executive board to go over who the LPD donors are and what their posture/donations is/are. Mary Pat mentioned that she already does this and sends each donor a thank you card or e-mail. Will suggested moving this discussion to Discord – state-board-private. Bill agreed and the motion died for lack of a second.
(1) Discussion on whether to reveal donors or not briefly continued until Will called orders of the day.
iii) Approve banking with Citizens Bank
(1) Bill asked if we need to take a vote and Will pointed out that we don’t need to as it is in the purview of the LPD Treasurer. Mary Pat shared that once we started receiving fees at our last bank, she moved the LPD’s money to another bank (Dover Federal Credit Union), no one in the party questioned it. She will go and check out Citizens Bank if that is what the LPD would like her to do.
(2) Bill stated that the problem of being charged fees by PayPal is being worked on and fixed by Mary Pat. Discussion had on what the board needs to and doesn’t need to approve concerning where to bank.
(3) Joe asked through point of information if we can also do it through Venmo and Mary Pat said we could if someone could help her set it up.
(4) ACTION ITEM #1: Mary Pat to seek out Joe if she is unable to set up the Venmo account herself.
c) LP National activities
i) This year is the 50th anniversary of the founding of the LP. National asked each state to send out a gift basket. Will asked Bill to firm up the details and that we discuss it on Discord.
ii) ACTION ITEM #2: Members to donate and Amy to secure items and mail them out to Colorado.
iii) LPDelaware AT googlegroups DOT com is the LPD state board distribution list, which is also public and anyone can join. It tracks and sends out information on the ad hoc votes. Will to put this in the state-board discord chat.
iv) Bill mentioned the LP Region 5 affiliate and campaign training taking place in Norfolk, VA from July 31st, 2021 to August 1st, 2021.
(1) ACTION ITEM #3: Dayl to e-mail LP Region 8 affiliate and campaign training out TONIGHT!
d) Other activities
i) Approve fund for discord bot in the cloud
(1) Bill asked if it has a cost and Will said that he needs to work on it, but most likely $40/month.
(a) ACTION ITEM #4: Bill to add this to the agenda for next month (2021 Q3 Meeting on August 21st).
1. It was discussed that $30 was set aside for web hosting.
2. Mary Pat shared that the LPD had about $1400 in funds received from the 2021 LPD Convention (about $600 +) and Day of Liberty ($787).
a. We’re also supposed to get more money from Pizzadili Winery, but Mary Pat is not sure where that money is coming from and Angela, the main lead at Pizzadili, has been very busy.
3. Put on hold until next month.
7) County updates
i) Have had decent attendance at meetings since convention
ii) Have passed some items that aligned with the resolution that Sussex passed regarding state bills.
iii) Working on their own AoA and Bylaws
iv) Moved to McGlynns in Dover
(1) Worked well in June, hope to be able to stay there
v) Started their own website as a subdomain of lpdelaware.org
(1) Will put up a donation button.
(2) News about this new website posted to Discord.
(a) ACTION ITEM #5: Will link the KCLP website link and the NCCLP website link to the main LPD website.
i) Working on branding
(1) Working with Chris Velrath on this.
ii) Trying to have a big activity every month.
iii) Reggaefest the end of this month and Weedstock next month.
(1) Joe offered to help with Weedstock. Dave thanked him. Times discussed.
iv) Making a Twitter and Instagram account.
v) Mad over $300 at the NCCLP Summer BBQ on July 17th.
(1) Will have an end of the summer BBQ on August 28th, with a beer license, so can make more money.
i) Last meeting, election held for Vice-Chair and Wendy Jones was elected.
(1) Also discussed the absence of a permeant treasurer (Will filling in)
ii) Apple Scrapple prep going on. The event is going on in October 9th (same as Region 8 training).
iii) Will have adopt-a-hwy clean up in August.
iv) Have a couple of new members!
8) AoA and Bylaws
a) Review of proposed amendments
i) Bill asked Dayl to take the lead on this, with Amy’s help.
ii) We have a proposed Policy and Procedures Guide (PPG) to review
iii) There was a motion previously made to amend Article 6 of the LPD AoA (see item 8.a.vi just below).
iv) LPD Social Media & Messaging Policy
v) Amy noted that there were a series of items on the AoA report.
(1) Mary Pat asked if these were posted anywhere else besides the LPD Executive Board. Bill shared that the ones ready for primetime (30-day review time) have been posted on Facebook by Dayl. Dayl corrected this by saying they had been posted by Amy.
(a) Amy asked that we only focus on the items where notification has been given. Bill did so.
(2) Amy then gave an update on the proposed amendments to Article 6 of the LPD AoA.
vi) Very long discussion had on how to word contracts (2 years only vs. ending contracts with each board; including kill switches to contracts and 30-day-notices to those performing duties, etc.)
(1) ACTION ITEM #6: Amy, Will, and Dayl to work on wording of contracts amendment.
9) Review specific officer roles and responsibilities
a) Bill to share the wording for the following positions so that they can be reviewed and discussed at next month’s meeting:
10) Social media policy framework discussion
a) Update Facebook group moderators to current board
i) Bill asked that we wait to this current meeting to do so and Will agree, discussing accountability (via administrator logs) and having more moderators available.
ii) Will 1st, Dayl 2nd to update Facebook group moderators to current board.
(1) Amy stated that they needed to go, but stayed to hear the discussion on the motion.
(2) Will brought up the wording about a posting that was found to be vulgar and how Bill deleted said posting. Will stated that we need to follow the rules concerning deleting post but that the vulgar comment didn’t break the rules. It was agreed that we would discuss this further. Further discussion had.
(3) Amy and Dylan left the meeting due to having to attend another meeting at 20:20 EDT. Quorum still retained with seven LPD members.
(4) Brandi also had to leave and left at 20:22 EDT. Quorum still retained with six LPD members.
(5) Discussion had on SMM rules set a few years ago. Joe read the four rules. They are as follows
(a) Rule #1: No Promotions or Spam
(i) Give more than you take to this group. Self-promotion, spam and irrelevant links aren't allowed. Candidate posts are exempted from the "self-promotion" restriction.
(b) Rule #2: Honesty
(i) Posts that are demonstrably false and misrepresent readily known facts, particularly those with the intention or effect of appropriating the Libertarian Party brand, will be subject to removal.
(c) Rule #3: Read the Room
(i) We try to maintain an open forum and not to limit posts, but please read the room. If you are blowing up group notifications with posts that do not generate responses, check yourself.
(d) Rule #4: Personal Attacks:
(i) Generally speaking we should be attacking the argument not the person, but this will especially be enforced for attacks against individuals who are not public figures or group members.
(e) Rule 3 was Bill’s justification for removing the comment to the vulgar post. Will made the counterpoint that “not reading the room” as found in Rule 3 was what James Ogle violated when he kept posting items about something he cared deeply about but that no one else on the group did and repeatedly said so to James Ogle.
(f) Dave shared that he liked Rule 3, but that it was very vague.
(g) Bill suggested adding an amendment that covers vulgarity and profanity
(h) Dave and Will had a good discussion on free speech, supporting free speech, and how to decide to set up a rule to remove something bad that doesn’t create a loop of posting and removing.
(i) Bill read a rule from Delaware Politics about graphic violence as guidance for a new rule. Discussion had.
(j) A new rule, Rule #5: Catch All, will be added.
(6) Getting back to the motion made in item in 10.a.ii, here are the vote results:
(a) Bill – aye
(b) Amy - absent
(c) Dayl -aye
(d) Mary Pat – aye
(e) Dave – aye
(f) Dylan - absent
(g) Will – aye
(h) Brandi – absent
(i) Jimmy – absent
(j) Joe – aye
(k) Passed 6-0-0-4.
11) Announcements & upcoming events
a) Dayl brought up the need to write apology cards for our speakers that didn’t get to speak at the 2021 LPD Convention due to us running overtime.
i) Will shared that he reached out to everyone an apologized. Dayl then asked if we as a board should do something official. Mary Pat shared that what Will has done is enough, being a member of the board. Dayl thanked Will publicly for the notes he had written, but continued to ask if we would still like to do anything as a whole board. Discussion had. Bill suggested doing thank you cards instead of apology cards. Mary Pat shared that we could still write something along the lines of the following: we apologize that you didn’t get to speak because we ran out of time.
(1) ACTION ITEM #7: Dayl to get thank you cards and addresses. Mary Pat has plenty of stamps. Everyone to sign them at the various state and county meetings.
b) Will updated the Facebook moderators to all 10 board members and put in wording for the new Rule 5: Catch All. The wording is as follows:
i) The Moderation Team reserves the right to remove any content not conducive to the mission of the LPD. The full Moderation Team will review any such removals and content can be restored if necessary.
c) Bill asked that we hide unwanted comments instead of deleting them. Discussion had. It was pointed out that we want to hide comments, as we can’t hide posts.
i) It was discovered that only administrators can undelete posts.
ii) Joe brought up that he couldn’t find the hide button, even after clicking on specific posts. Will pointed out that only comments can be hidden, not posts.
iii) Bill brought up an idea about the catch all, but he cut out of the feed, as did everyone else except for Will. Orders of the day were called by Bill once everyone was able to hear everyone else speak. Bill asked that we add something to the new Rule #5 to the effect that “repeat offenders must have their posts approved by moderators”. Dave felt that this was showing our hand too much. He suggested instead that we add something to the effect that “we reserve the right to boot anyone from our group”, in the spirit of property rights. Will explained that we have done this sort of thing already, we just haven’t sorted out the penalties. Will then gave examples again, including James Ogle. He turned on post approval for such posters for 30 days, which can be repeated as long as necessary or desired. Dave felt that Will made the right move regarding posts from James Ogles and others that did not read the room and/or were incessant with their inappropriate posts.
iv) Dayl made a point of personal privilege concerning not being able to hear the audio. Will shared that the recording of the meeting will be up on YouTube.
a) Bill 1st, Dayl 2nd to adjourn.
(1) Bill – aye
(2) Amy - absent
(3) Dayl -aye
(4) Mary Pat – aye
(5) Dave – aye
(6) Dylan - absent
(7) Will – aye
(8) Brandi – absent
(9) Jimmy – absent
(10) Joe – aye
(11) Passed 6-0-0-5
b) We adjourned at 20:49 EDT.